The environment is an integral part of human life and the environment quality plays a critical role in human health. The environmental consequences of various economic activities in the urban areas affect the different natural resources and its qualities. The low lying land parcels in the valleys within the city has been acting as drainage basins receiving surface runoff during flash floods and slowly releasing the water into streams and canals. But due to population pressure many of these low lying valleys have been subjected to conversion for building purposes, affecting the drainage and water logging. Water quality in the rivers flowing through the cities has been steadily declining over the recent decades due to waste dumping and sewage disposal. The mounting solid waste management problem is another area of concern in urban areas. The studies on air pollution in urban areas showed an increasing trend in respiratory diseases due to declining air quality. The land use pattern has changed. The problems are expected to increase in coming years due to the fast growing urbanization in the State.
In order to minimize adverse environmental effect on human being in urban areas consequent to urbanization and associated interventions, the urban environment improvement project is proposed for implementation in the State during 12th Five Year Plan in a phased manner. During 2013-14, the project was introduced in Thiruvananthapuram city with the support of Government departments, elected institutions, Non-Governmental Organisations, Residents Associations and Thiruvananthapuram Corporation. The project is being coordinated by the Department of Environment and Climate Change.
The components of the project are shown below:
(a) Green City
(b) Restoration of Ponds
(c) Waste to energy
(d) Green Technologies
(e) Urban Agriculture Component
(f) Awareness Programmes
(g) Rain Water Harvesting and Waste Management
(h) Institutional Mechanism
Maximum public participation was ensured in the implementation of the project in association with Thiruvananthapuram Corporation. A DPR was prepared for approval as an integrated project.
Based on the DPR prepared Government had sanctioned Administrative Sanction amounting to Rs. 1015 lakhs for the project vide order no. G.O (Rt) : No. 181 / 13 / Envt Dated 13.12.2013.
URBAN ENVIRONMENT IMPROVEMENT PROJECT 2013-14
The Urban Environment Improvement Project was proposed for implementation in the State during 12th Five Year Plan in a phased manner through the Department of Environment and Climate Change. The Ist phase of the programme is being implemented within the Jurisdiction of Thiruvananthapuram Municipal Corporation under One Time Additional Central Assistance scheme with a total outlay of Rs.1005lakh. The project is an initiative towards establishing a self-sustained miniature of our ecosystem in every household in Thiruvananthapuram Corporation Area. The implementation period of the project is one year from the date of Administrative sanction, ie. 24.12.2013. Later Government have extended the project implementation period up to 30.06.2015 as per the G.O. (Rt) No. 2829/2015/Fin dated 27.03.2015.
- Department of Environment and Climate Change (DoECC)
- Forest Department (Social forestry)
- Kerala Irrigation Infrastructure Development Corporation (KIIDC)
- Community Capacity Development Unit (CCDU)
- Agriculture Technology Management Agency (ATMA)
- Combine urbanism and nature to create, preserve and restore green and open spaces sustainably and thereby reduce carbon emission
- Rejuvenate the urban ponds for managing water scarcity and keeping the aesthetic values including biodiversity conservation
- Effective management of household organic waste by converting the waste into energy through biogas plants
- Cultivate safe to eat vegetables utilizing household organic waste/ slurry from biogas plant as manure and manage house hold organic waste in urban households.
- Promote Green Technologies
- Promoting Rain Water Harvesting.