The Kerala Irrigation Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd (KIIDC) is a wholly owned company of Government of Kerala with a paid up capital of Rs. 10 crore, formed for the promotion and development of medium and large scale irrigation and water supply projects units in the State.
At present KIIDC is entrusted with works related to civil works, irrigation works, micro irrigation works, environmental support works etc by different departments of the Government viz. Water Resources Department, Tourism Department, Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB) etc. The works includes:
- Improvement of canals.
- Improvements to parks and landscaping.
- Construction of sea shore protection works like groynes, seawalls etc.
- Water supply
- Storm water Drains/sewerage/Effluent treatment schemes & disposals.
- Providing power supply internal & external including street lights.
- Other Civil works as entrusted etc including interiors & exteriors developments.
- Construction of Regulator cum Bridges.
Incidental to this the Company is also authorised to undertake the following:
- the construction, execution and subsequent maintenance of projects entrusted by the State Government
- to utilise the water stored in the reservoir created in the river course for any utilities like drinking water, irrigation, domestic, industrial, tourism, or for any other purpose according to the directions of the Government from time to time.
- To undertake or render any assistance to individual, firm, society, company, corporation, development authority, municipality, panchayath or any department of Government of Kerala with the object of providing irrigation facilities, water supply and distribution system especially to farmers, agriculturists, cultivators and producers so as to improve all types of operation of farming, periculture, sericulture, horticulture and agriculture and for this to construct wells, ponds, tanks, culverts, canals, bunds, water treatment plants, reservoirs etc.
- To carry on in India or elsewhere the business of generating, producing, refining, receiving, improving, buying, selling, reselling, acquiring, using, transmitting, accumulating, employing, distributing, developing, handling, supplying and to act as producer, agent, broker, representative, consultant, collaborator or otherwise to deal in undertake, assist, encourage, promote development of scientific, technical, engineering, research activities associated with generation, transmission and distribution of power which is derived through conventional/ non conventional methods including hydel, thermal, turbine, thermo electric generator, thermionic convertor, hydrogen magneto hydro dynamic, fuel cell technology, solar energy, wind energy, tidal energy and deal in all apparatus and things required for or capable of being used in connection with generation, transmission, distribution, energy conservation, development of means, modes and methods for conservation and efficient utilization of energy, measuring the output and improving the efficiency thereof, supply or otherwise trade in accumulation and employment of electricity, all power that may directly or indirectly be derived there from and for that purpose acquire, establish, contract, lay down, promote, erect, build, install, commission carry out and run all necessary power sub stations, work shops, repair shops or any other facility or property required for the purpose of carrying on such business for captive, commercial uses.
- To carry on the activity of acquiring, processing including desalination, treating, producing and merchandising bottled drinking water and for that purpose acquire, establish, contract, lay down, promote, erect, build, install, commission, carry out and run all necessary processing units, work shops, repair shops or any other facility or property required for the purpose of carrying on such business and buy, import, export, procure, process, pack, repack, add, remove, heat, preserve, store, forward, consign, distribute, franchise, dispose, develop, assemble, handle and transport, supply as stockiest, commission agent or otherwise to deal in bottled water.
Moreover the paid up capital of Rs. 10 crores is issued as one crore shares of Rs. 10 each and of these 99,99,993 shares are issued in the name of the Honourable Governor of Kerala and the balance seven shares are held by the Directors by circulation. Hence the major shareholder of the Company is the Honourable Governor of Kerala.